Good evening everyone.
Today, I would like to invite you all to the free barley miso making event!
Last year we held a free doburoku making event here at the Japanese Koji Fermentation Village.
If you go to our past post, you can find the information. Please check it out if you’re interested.
We wanted to do something this year as well, and this idea just came up in my mind.
Miso we will be making this time is a little bit different from the common miso in Japan; it is made from chickpeas and barleykoji.
This event will be a great opportunity for people…
-who have never tried making miso
-who is interested in koji but don’t know much about it
-who have made miso before but have never tried making it the traditional Japanese way.
Also this would be helpful for people
-who doesn’t feel like to make it alone
-who doesn’t have any idea how to get the ingredients and tools.
This is not a paid class, so we may not be able to provide as much details as usual, but it is a great opportunity for those who are interested in learning just about the process.
We’d be happy to push your backs if you always wanted to try it but never took the action.
If you are interested in learning more about koji, please consider taking a online/in-person class.
The flow of this event will be as follows:
1. RSVP using the registration form.
2. We will send you an email so that you can prepare your own materials and tools for the event.
3. Purchase or make Mugi (barley) koji. You may be able to buy it at your local store or make your own. If necessary, we will connect you to koji advisors in your local area. You can purchase them from the Koji Advisors.
4. On the day before the event – soak chickpeas in water for the next day.
5. Start boiling chickpeas about an hour before the event, so that chickpeas are properly boiled by the time Zoom starts.
6. Join the Zoom and make miso together!
7. Let it ferment for 3 to 4 months
*If you cannot attend the Zoom on the day of the event, later we will send you a video of how to make it, so that you can watch it and try making it yourself.
*If you are not able to get the ingredients on the day of the event, you can still participate in the Zoom. Enjoy the miso talk with everyone.
Questions? Please feel free to contact me anytime!
The Koji Academy Canada
Japanese Koji Fermentation Village – Facebook commumity group page
Please register from here: